Melbourne CBD Physiotherapy: Experience, Excellence, Results
Bike Fit Assessments
Get the most out of yourself and your bike.
If you’re a cyclist experiencing niggles, recurring injuries, don’t know where you’re going wrong, or just got a new bike – book a Bike Fit session now. Melbourne CBD physio will offer Bike Fit from July 2021, a personalised and in-depth physical and cycling assessment, and bike modification that will give you a bike fit that is perfect for you.
What is Bike Fit?
If you want to increase your speed, power output, pedal stroke efficiency and reduce injury, Melbourne CBD Physio will assess the full picture of your injury history, cycling history, mobility, strength, pedal stroke, cleat position and saddle position. We’ll work to immediately correct your positioning and design an individualised plan for you to conquer your cycling goals.
Our Bike Fit expert, physiotherapist Nick Rees, has worked with weekend warriors, competitive road cyclists, mountain bikers, triathletes and complete beginners to help improve their overall performance and comfort on the bike.
Our approach to Bike Fit
Your Bike Fit session is a 90 minute individual consultation with our expertly trained physiotherapist, Nick Rees. Your session will involve:
- An investigation into your injury and cycling history and goals
- Biomechanical analysis
- Footwear and cleat analysis
- Video and gait analysis
- Optimising your seat and body positioning
- Optimising power output from the legs
- Adjusting trunk and arm positions for economy and comfort
- Recommendations and strategies to work on during training and competitive rides (including warm ups, rehab exercises, technique cues and drills)
- A take home report outlining the findings, changes made and strategies to implement
With advanced video technology, cycling equipment, VALD Performance analysis and a fully equipped Keiser gym, we analyse and implement the crucial requirements for your health and cycling success.
What to bring to your Bike Fit
Bring your bike, cycling shoes, a water bottle and your bibs, shirt or jersey.
Cycling conditions we assess
We love cycling because it caters for every level of fitness and is a great way to improve your mental and physical health. As a repetitive movement, your technique, strength and mobility could be limiting your performance and increasing your risk of injury. We also know how frustrating it can be to experience injuries that stop us from doing the things we love.
A Melbourne CBD Physio Bike Fit Assessment can help with:
- Setting up and adjusting to a new bike or shoes
- Improved comfort while riding
- Preventing and reducing your risk of cycling injury
- Post operative return to the bike
- Tendinopathy or overuse injuries sustained from cycling
- Starting out on the bike as a complete beginner
- Postural related cycling pain in your back, neck, shoulder and arms
- Performance enhancement to get you closer to your goals
- Post-natal, pelvic floor and women’s health concerns
- Pelvic, back or hip pain
- Foot/ankle, knee, ITB or hip flexor pain
- Gaining an understanding of your cycling limitations during injury
- Developing a training plan to improve performance
- Training load management
Why our Bike Fit sessions work
Bike Fit at Melbourne CBD Physio will help you get the most out of your cycling by improving your technique, efficiency and risk of injury.
During your session, we do an in-depth assessment of you and your bike, provide immediate feedback and adjustment, and then work to correct and manage your positioning in line with your cycling goals. You will ride away an already changed cyclist, carrying a detailed understanding of optimal technique, positioning and ways to manage your body.
We will give you specific take home programming on how to adjust your technique, improve strength and mobility and protect yourself from injury. We will also offer advice on how to safely increase your cycling volume, power and speed based on your individual presentation.
No two Bike Fits are the same, as each cyclist’s physical condition, fitness, riding and cycling goals can be vastly different. The optimal positioning for a cyclist preparing for high level crit racing will be significantly different than the perfect position for a casual cyclist who wants to climb better in the Dandenongs. Finding the optimal Fit for you is part of our process at Melbourne CBD Physio.
We have a strong referral network of massage therapists, cycling coaches, bike technicians and medical specialists if you want to continue facilitating better cycling performance. Our fully equipped rehabilitation and gym space is also a fantastic place to stay in contact with your Bike Fit physiotherapist and keep on track with your cycling program.